if you would like to see the full version curricula vitae or need more specific qualifications for a project you are considering please e.mail us at cv[a]thegeniuosofwater[.]us .
the following includes:
LECTURES & EVENTS
ESSAYS & CATALOGS
LECTURES & EVENTS
• Digital Photography essentials for reporters and writers documenting their own stories. (1-2) hours.
• Pre Press, Production & Printing Primarily for a design audience. Covering colour, image capture, files & mechanicals, sourcing and manufacturing process. (3-6) hours depending on topic focus.
• New Paradigm in Branding Designed for entrepreneurs. Discusses the fundamentals of brand building in an academic forum. (1-2) hours.
• The Mass Politica a historical discussion for a novice audience on the role of graphic design as a political and communication tool. (1-2) hours.
• 2009 East by North East Curator of an exhibition of three native photographers’ vision of Los Angeles.
• 2009 Style Citizen (producer) Developed program and sponsors for the California Apparel News’ Style and Fashion Photography Competition.
• 2001 e101 (co-producer) Panel discussion exploring e.commerce including speakers from jupiter communications and idealab! Catalog Published.
• 2000 Small Business Promotion (panelist) Event that discussed visual marketing strategies for the fashion trade.
• 1992 Noche Buena (committee chair) Developed and managed annual fundraiser and entertainment for non-profit Rainbow of Hope.
ESSAYS & CATALOGS
• 2010 Mayor’s Antonio Villaraigosa’s Latino Heritage Month Catalog/Calendar “invisble citizens” and ”compadre” photographs
• 2010 Thirty-six Artists by Leopoldo Pena Featured in book of portraits of Los Angeles’ artists
• 2009 Mayor’s Antonio Villaraigosa’s Latino Heritage Month Catalog/Calendar “nogales” polaroid
• 2009 Avenue 50 Studio Annual Auction Catalogue “cafe” polaroid
• 2008 Unpublished: “The Polaroid as a Muse” a survey of “Perdido en Califas”
• 2008 Mayor’s Antonio Villaraigosa’s Latino Heritage Month Catalog/Calendar “beat 64” polaroid
• 2005 Unpublished: Authored essay on the design process of the Eagle Rock Flag (link)
• 2004 Los Angeles Times, Home Section Photographer architectural documentation the Coffey house, Eagle Rock
• 2003 dialogues Author “Brand Case Study: Flight 001”
• 2002 dialogues Author “Brand You” article on brand strategies and fundamentals
• 1987 Downtown News Photography essay “Taxi”
• 1986 Galleries Elect Published “Studies of Pathology” (c-print) catalog of new artist
: : 2010 Balconi : : Opening Show (group) (2) 11×14 giclee/Polaroid (Los Angeles)
: : 2011 The Blue Whale : : Feed the Blue Whale (group) (1) 11×14 giclee/Polaroid (Los Angeles)
: : 2010 Groundworks : : selections from Los Poloroido Gigantes (8) 23×28 giclee/Polaroid Los Angeles
: : 2010 Royal T : : Aftershock LA (group) (1) 23×28 giclee/Polaroid Culver City
: : 2010 casa 0101 : : Vanguardia Erotika (group) (4) 11×14 silver gelatin Los Angeles
: : 2010 Office of the Mayor of LA : : rotating exhibit in the private office (2) 11×14 giclee/Polaroid Los Angeles
: : 2009 Fremont Gallery : : Celebrando! 2009 (group) currated by Isabel Rojas-Williams (2) 11×14 giclee/Polaroid South Pasadena
: : 2009 Ghetto Gloss : : Soulsticycle: Bike Frost (group) 23×28 giclee/Polaroid Los Angeles
: : 2009 Cafemode @ Shojin : : Earthworks 06: 50/50 (group) quadtych giclee/Polaroid Los Angeles
: : 2009 The Da Center for the Arts : : Hands Across Atzlan (group) 23×28 giclee/Polaroid Pomona
: : 2009 Noguire Building : : East by North East (one of three) (9) 11×14 giclee/Polaroid Los Angeles
: : 2009 City of Buena Park : : Cultural & Fine Arts Commission: Los Polaroidos Gigantes, Preview (solo) (25) 23×28 giclee/Polaroid Buena Park
: : 2009 Avenue 50 Studio : : East of the River (solo) (40) 11×14 giclee/Polaroid Los Angeles
: : 2009 Cafemode @ Bolivar : : Omocho de cha cha cha (group show) (1) 23×28 giclee/Polaroid Santa Monica
: : 2009 Cafemode @ Shojin : : Earthworks 04: Catch (group) (1) 11×14 giclee/Polaroid Los Angeles
: : 2009 Cafemode @ Shojin : : Earthworks 03: Impulse (group) (3) 11×14 giclee/Polaroid Los Angeles
: : 2009 Ontario Museum of History and Art : : (group show) (1) 23×28 giclee/Polaroid Ontario
: : 2009 Bluebird Art House : : Set Free (group show) (1) 23×28 giclee/Polaroid Whittier
: : 2009 Cafemode @ Shojin : : Earthworks 02: Transformation (group) (2) 11×14 giclee/Polaroid Los Angeles
: : 2009 Cafemode @ Shojin : : Earthworks 01 (group show) (2) 11×14 giclee/Polaroid Los Angeles
: : 2008 City of Buena Park : : Cultural & Fine Arts Commission: Season of Light (group show) (5) giclee/Polaroid Buena Park
: : 2008 Pico Rivera Centre for the Arts : : 4th Annual (group show) (2) Polaroid originals Pico Rivera
: : 2008 Future Studio : : Group Show of AAC members (1) 23×28 giclee/Polaroid Los Angeles
: : 2007 Pharmaka Art : : Small Wonders 3 juried by Holly Myers (1) giclee/Polaroid Los Angeles
: : 2007 FIDM Museum & Galleries’ Store : : in conjunction with Saber exhibition (12) giclee/Polaroid Los Angeles
: : 2007 Metropol : : Perdido en Califas (solo) (38) giclee/Polaroid Los Angeles
: : 1986 Kodak Gallery : : Group exhibition new photographers 16×20” silver gelatin Rochester, NY
: : 1986 Fourth Street Gallery : : Featured new photographer 57×20” c-print New York
: : 1985 Scarpati Studios : : Show of three L.A. photographers 57×20” c-print Los Angeles
: : 1983 ARCO / Downtown News Group exhibition of local photographers : : (4) 8×10 silver gelatin Los Angeles
• Graphic Techniques One. This second quarter course explores the powerful tools in Adobe Photoshop and introduces students to creating digital illustrations and photography composites.
• Graphic Techniques Two. This third quarter digital illustration course focuses creating with Adobe Illustrator building on drawing skills and fundamentals.
• Desktop Publishing. Immerses students into elementary design principals while expanding on typography skills through building page layout and an introduction to publication design.
• Mass Communications & Concepts. Authored this sixth quarter elective to help expand students’ ability to develop a personal position as well as a marketing position with a cause related marketing or a politically charged project and apply it to a cross media campaign that ranged from a grass roots to new media and underground media. The emphasis was to develop a message through graphic design and explore innovative media.
• Pre Press Production. Originally authored as an elective, its success eventually made it a core class for the design curriculum. Students were introduced to manufacturing processes both digital and analogue. Students had to understand archaic systems sometimes and apply them with a modern digital process or software for print production, silkscreen or other print manufacturing systems.
• Brand Imaging. A fundamental course on branding for brand managers and creatives that emphasises the emotional connection we have with brands. Students identify opportunities, while dissecting a brand and developing methods to connect with an audience.
• Introduction to Digital Photography. Authored this photography for graphic designers course that discusses the idea of design within another medium and set of tools. Graphic designers explore the semiotics of photography and how to communicate and create an emotional response with their images as well as the technical fundamentals of photography.
• Type One. Type One is a second quarter course that sets the foundation for all type knowledge. Students are exposed to analogue processes and hand lettering to understand the design principals that are inherent in type design.
• 2006 UCDA Silver Certificate, University and College Designer’s Association “Excellence in Design”
• 2000-05 Design commission the Eagle Rock community flag.
• 1988 Fashion Institute of Design Scholarship Award
: : : :